Thursday, January 27, 2011

Fox Ridge Farm

This is where i grew up. Fox Ridge Farm..in a little 150 year old shaker cottage. My parents managed the farm and raised cattle,pigs, chickens and lots of crops.
We made our own butter, milked the cow,and butchered our own meat. I spent my days working hard, building fences,working with the cattle,picking corn,plowing up the land for wheat,and making hay.
I was driving a tractor and making hay at 9 years old. My father and I butchered  a couple steers every year for meat..and hogs..we salted down the hams and hung them in the smokehouse. Supper meant chasing down a chicken,catching fish,and picking something from the garden. In the summer we canned. Picked blackberries and froze them. there was so much good food..fresh chicken,corn,beans,cobblers and hand churned ice-cream. For fun we rode horses, mules,and donkeys. we went swimming in the river or ponds. I never went to town, or a movie, or a restaurant when i grew up. Back then, farming was hard work, I worked 2 hours before school..milk the cows,get the eggs,clean stalls, feed the cows. Ride with dad and check the other farms we took care of. That's the shaker cottage on the right. The original barn is the smaller one on the right. I am so blessed to have lived here ,growing up,among the mountains, cattle,  farmers,family,horses,pigs,rivers and fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment